Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chalet Don Diego, my friend and gracious host Peppe and his little Grottammare paradise

12 Maggio, 2011
When I first arrived in Offida, I met the nicest lady who also seemed to me the most talented artisan with the special lace making of this little commune called Merletti al Tombolo.  I would recommend her to all my guests and take my friends to see her.  She always asked me "When are you going to visit my sons' restaurant at Grottammare.  Finally I made it down to Chalet no. 25 on the lungomare of that town and found Peppe the elder son and proprietario of Chalet Don Diego.  I have not eaten better seafood at any restaurant in Italy.  Some have been equally as fine but 50% more expensive and Pepe has a little garden outside which is immaculate.  I just have returned from London where I dined at the 2nd restaurant of a chef whose flagship restaurant was voted in the top 50 in the world and all I can say is his chef needs to make a visit to Don Diego and learn how to prepare shrimp!  Look at these beautiful plates, all antipasti (one is missing, because I tore into the crabs and shrimp before I remembered to take the picture and no one likes to see pix of dismembered crustaceans.)   If you come to visit me at Nascondiglio di Bacco and ask for a seafood restaurant, this will by my first suggestion.  Enjoy the photos, you will be hungry after.  Excuse my camera's lack of expertise with its autofocus setting. hehe









2 comments:

biancifiore said...

m'hai fatto venire voglia di pesce ... da Don Diego! ; )

Don said...

Dwight,
This post brought back wonderful memories!!
Don and Jan