Friday, September 03, 2010

Analyzing grapes and the race to harvest

2 Settembre
I have just turned my calendars over and have arrived at a nice photo of Hallet's, Otis and Taylor peaks in RMNP with Autumn colors on one, a picture of us stomping grapes 2 years ago on another and a polar bear rolling in the snow on a third.  I guess that means harvest time must be near.  I have been analyzing our grapes for pH, sugar content and total acid content and we could be from a week to two weeks away from our 1st serious "vendemmia".  Unfortunately, our weather forecasting station is predicting a week of rain from the 8th to the 16th which would be akin to a disaster.  I am hoping that will change.  The press (above photo) has arrived which leaves the de-stemmer and crusher and refrigerator units left to install and we should be close to ready.
The builders have about finished the roof for the tasting and sales room and all the tanks are now here, I think.
The last bit of cement has been poured on the lower level where my office, the bathroom and shower area and storage will be located.


Now, as I wrote, it will up to the vagaries of the weather and how our grapes mature in the next couple of weeks.
It is a scary, exciting time here at Nascondiglio di Bacco!  
Our B&B is empty for 1 day and it seems very strange with nothing to do for a short time.  I am catching up on some fantasy books by George R. R. Martin and relaxing.

No comments: