Thursday, June 10, 2010

Roof over our heads, roses, corn and tomatoes and What fruit is this?

10 giugno
I am underwater with work in the vineyard and our high season kicks in shortly at Nascondiglio di Bacco.  We are currently choosing which branches of each grapevine to keep and which to tear off for compost and have finished perhaps half of the vineyard to date.  I have been weed-eating in between the plants, row by row which is laborious, but the weeds are at least as capable as the vines at growing by leaps and bounds.
Here are the latest photos of the construction and I think by the end of the week or early next week they will have poured the cement for the roof of the cantina proper.  The rose is one of the prettiest I have grown and looks like it is made of velvet.  The tree you see with the green fruit is a mystery to me and I would appreciate any ideas as to what kind it is, perhaps some strange type of plum?  Finally, my peaches and cream corn row with my latest construction project behind to support my tomato plants should they survive.
We had a nice visit with the Butins from KC and they were nice enough to gift me some Bryant's and Gate's rubs for bbq'ing as well as much needed pure vanilla extract.  I am hopeful they had a nice Marche  experience... we were up against some tough competition with Rome and Paris on their itinerary!
dds

No comments: