Wednesday, September 19, 2007

3.5 days without telephone and 5 without internet!






19 settembre
Wow, i really miss internet when it isn't here. I am not living in a 3rd world country, but when you go 5 days without the net and 3 and a half without a phone, it feels a bit like that.
There is much to tell. Elizabeth and Hans and I visited Aurora which you see in the 1st photo and bought a bit of wine. Raffaele and I hosted a very nice English couple from 'Bedford'shire (which is a family name of mine) and they liked our food enough to eat with us at Nascondiglio di Bacco 3 of the 4 nights of their stay. We tried to serve many of the local specialties and wines on various nights before they left for parts west.
The 1st fermentation is almost finished and an analysis shows the alcohol grade at about 12.9% and proper amounts of free acid, a normal pH etc. The second batch is still going strong and the sugar content is down to about 9 while the 1st was 4-5. Between 3 and 4 we will transfer the must to the stainless tank for a while before the barrel aging begins which allows the sediment to settle.
It has tried very hard to sprinkle here a couple of times and I caught a little rainbow, if not much rain, to our west on the Canon. More sunsets for your enjoyment and I will continue this discourse in another post with more photos so look above. Sorry to everyone who didn't get prompt responses to their emails... I was a little helpless, only able to call telecom italia once a day to "lament".. dds PS, I forgot to mention that the purple stuff on the ground are the stems which I hand picked out of our fermenting vats one by one to lessen the risk of excessive methanol and tannins. my hands are still stained---3 hours!

No comments: